Thanks for posting these questions, Jean Sorensen! The questions were added to the AMA board at: https://workspaceonhomelessness.ca/pitcounts/forum~2/ask_me_anything_on_point_in_time_counts__may_9_2017_at_1pm_et
Various questions re PiT Count
1. Will it be possible to add additional PiT Count questions required for the Ontario enumeration to regular HIFIS prior to the PiT Count? These would be questions such as about racialization, sexual orientation and gender identity.
2. If so, will it then be possible to update the HIFIS system to allow the data to be transferred from regular HIFIS into the PiT Count section of HIFIS, so there would be no need to duplicate efforts by asking each resident to complete the survey? Of course, we would amend the HIFIS consent.
3. If the above-mentioned technological solution is not possible, could you please offer a suggestion on the sampling size for emergency shelter residents? We will be able to do a 100% count of all the people in the HIFIS database who stayed at the shelter on that night, which will be approximately 1,300 individuals. This would provide data such as gender, age, language and indigenous identity. We also propose to administer full questionnaires to a sample of those 1,300 people, perhaps 30% of those in large shelters (depending on human resources and client interest) and 100% in small shelters. Would this meet your requirements?
3. Can you please tell us how the unique identifier will work on the questionnaire? We guess that it includes a code for the location, but what will it be for the person – a combination of birthdate and initials?
4. Do you have any advice, from previous counts, on making clients feel their confidentiality is being protected while asking them to sign a consent form? Could they be asked to provide only verbal, anonymous, consent, with the PiT personnel signing the form to say the consent had been given? Or could the participant be invited to sign with an “X”? What works best?
- 524 views
- 2 versions
- 1 reply
- 1 follower
- Posted By:
- Jean Sorensen
- May 8, 2017
About this forum
- 4,733 views
- 60 topics
- 1 follower